Because it appears I’ll be doing a lot of hospital visits in the coming days, I’ll be “recycling” some things I’ve written in the past (though they haven’t hit this blog before). I should manage some “new” posts, but certainly not every day, at least for a while.
Today, I’ll give the first part of something I wrote when I preached a few sermons on loving our neighbour — Jesus told us this is the second greatest commandment. There is nothing complicated here, just a list of twenty-five things the Scripture says about how we are to treat those around us. Nothing complicated — but certainly a challenging list. If you do these things, you’ll drive your neighbours crazy wondering what in the world happened to you — and you yourself might not even believe what you have become under the hand of your Maker.
LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR
Love in Action
25 Ways to Drive Your Neighbours
Wondering What Happened to You!
1. The Golden Rule (Matthew 7:12).
2. Give Them the Gospel (Romans 1:13-16)
3. Be Honest to Them in All Things (Romans 12:17)
4. Be Peaceable Towards Them (Romans 12:18)
5. Don’t Take Vengeance (Romans 12:19)
6. Feed Them and Give Them Drink, even if Enemies (Romans 12:20)
7. Overcome Evil With Good (Romans 12:21)
8. Work no Ill Against Them (Romans 13:8-10)
9. Don’t Judge Them (expect them to behave) as if They Were Believers (I Corinthians 5:9-13)
10. Serve Them, Giving up Your Rights, for the Gospel’s Sake (I Corinthians 9:19-23)
11. Give No Offense, for the Gospel’s Sake (I Corinthians 10:32-33)
12. Do Good, and Give to Them (Galatians 6:10)
13. Live Differently than They Do – Shine as Lights (Philippians 2:14-16)
14. Be an Example to Them of Self-Control (Philippians 4:5)
15. Be Wise Towards Them (Colossians 4:5)
16. Be Gracious and Appropriate in Speech Towards Them (Colossians 4:5-6)
17. Walk Honestly / Pay Your Own Way (I Thessalonians 4:12)
18. Be Patient Towards Them (I Thessalonians 5:14)
19. Don’t Pay Back Evil, but Follow Good (I Thessalonians 5:15)
20. Pray for Them (I Timothy 2:1)
21. Do not Enter into Strife with Them, but be Gentle (II Timothy 2:24)
22. Don’t Speak Evil of Them, be Gentle and Meek (Titus 3:2)
23. Follow (actively pursue) Peace (Hebrews 12:14)
24. Honour Them (I Peter 2:17)
25. Always Be Ready to Tell Them Why You are the Way You are (I Peter 3:15)