It is well always to talk about peace and to strive and suffer for peace; but it is better at the same time to understand the causes which lead to wars.
– Winston Churchill, The World Crisis, volume four, “The Aftermath” (1929 AD)
I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.
– The Son of God, Luke 10:18 (~30 AD)
Ye are of your father the devil,
and the lusts of your father ye will do.
He was a murderer from the beginning,
and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him.
– Jesus the Christ, the Son of the Living God, John 8:44 (~30 AD)
My soul hath long dwelt with him that hateth peace.
I am for peace: but when I speak, they are for war.
– a Psalmist, perhaps David, Psalm 120:6-7 (perhaps 1000 BC)
For they have healed the hurt of the daughter of my people slightly, saying, Peace, peace; when there is no peace.
– Jeremiah a prophet, Jeremiah 8:11 (early 6th century BC)
From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?
Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.
Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.
Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.
– James an apostle, James 4:1-4 (~50 AD)
Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
– John an apostle, I John 2:15-16 (perhaps ~90 AD)
There is no peace,
saith my God,
to the wicked.
– Isaiah a prophet, Isaiah 57:21 (probably ~700 BC)
Come, behold the works of the LORD, what desolations he hath made in the earth.
He maketh wars
unto the end
of the earth;
he breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; he burneth the chariot in the fire.
– A Psalmist, Psalm 46:8-9 (perhaps ~700 BC)
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father,
The Prince of Peace.
Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end….
– Isaiah a prophet, Isaiah 9:6-7 (probably 730 BC)
And this man shall be the peace….
– Micah a prophet, Micah 5:5 (probably ~700 BC)
And she shall bring forth a son,
and thou shalt call his name
for he shall save his people
from their sins.
– An angel, perhaps Gabriel, Matthew 1:21 (perhaps 6 BC)
Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.
– A multitude of angels, Luke 2:14 (perhaps 5 BC)
Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
– the Saviour of the world, John 14:27 (~30-32 AD)
…Having made peace
through the blood of his cross,
by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.
And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled
– Paul an apostle, Colossians 1:20-21 (~59-60 AD)
But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities:
of our peace
was upon him;
and with his stripes we are healed.
– Isaiah a prophet, Isaiah 53:5 (probably ~700 BC)
Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other.
– an unknown Psalmist, Psalm 85:10 (between 1400-400 BC)
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war….
…And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.
– John an apostle, Reveleation 19:11, 16 (perhaps 95 AD)
And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation,
neither shall they learn war any more.
– Isaiah a prophet, Isaiah 2:4 (probably ~730 BC)
The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them….
They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea.
– Isaiah a prophet, Isaiah 11:6, 9 (probably ~730 BC)
shall wipe away all tears
from their eyes;
and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain:
for the former things
are passed away.
– John an apostle, Revelation 21:4 (perhaps 95 AD)
and know that I am God:
I will be exalted among the heathen,
I will be exalted in the earth.”